The Communications Specialist is to demonstrate strong leadership for the visual impact of the project. S/he will build and strengthen networks with strategic media partners to support the exposure of the project messaging across the country.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Manage media/press relations of the project;
- Oversee and maintain online outreach and produce information materials for public outreach;
- Provide support to UN Women special events, campaigns and programming;
- Liaise closely with UN Women Ukraine Communications team to feed regional initiatives into national/corporate communications initiatives and vice versa;
- Build communications partnerships and media alliances.
1. Manage media/press relations of the project:
- Prepare, plan and implement project media strategies in line with corporate guidelines to enhance the positioning of UN Women with the media;
- Identify opportunities and organize press conferences; facilitate interviews and other media events;
- Prepare press releases and media kits;
- Provide clear, consistent and timely responses to media inquiries;
- Maintain and expand contacts with media.
2. Maintain online outreach and produce information materials for public outreach:
- Ensure social media and web-presence of the project in line with the corporate policy;
- Provide regular and timely inputs to ensure project’s visibility in social media in line with corporate social media policy and provide inputs to national/corporate social media accounts;
- Compose brochures, fact sheets, speeches, stories from the field and disseminate it to relevant target audience;
- Identify effective dissemination channels and supervise distribution of project information products;
- Substantively contribute to tracking the impact of project’s media outreach.
3. Provide support to UN Women special events, campaigns and programming:
- Implement communications components of UN Women and/or UN campaigns, including but not limited to UNiTE campaign, HeforShe and 16 Days of Activism against Gender-based Violence;
- Initiate, conceptualize and implement special events of the project to ensure reaching wider audiences.
4. Liaise closely with UN Women Ukraine Communications team to feed country initiatives into national/corporate communications initiatives and vice versa:
- Ensure consistency with corporate policies, messaging and initiatives via regular consultation with the project management and Communications and Advocacy Specialist;
- Ensure information exchange with Country Office Communications team to coordinate communications initiatives: inform about regional activities, provide comments on and inputs for country initiatives;
- Contribute to UN Women corporate materials to highlight national initiatives and ensure visibility;
- Regular liaison with Communications Officers from other UN entities at the regional level to provide UN Women inputs to joint UN initiatives.
5. Build communications partnerships and media alliances:
- Lead the visual impact of the project;
- Identify and develop new communications partnerships and media alliances to enhance the visibility and cement UN Women as a thought-leader; manage and nurture existing partnerships;
- Identify and apply innovative opportunities and new communications tools and platforms which can serve to highlight the work of UN Women;
- Collaborate closely with CO Communications specialists to advance regional and national communications partnerships.
Measurable outputs of the work assignment:
- Media strategies in line with corporate guidelines is prepared and implemented;
- Project’s media and public outreach is achieved;
- Communications components of UN Women and/or UN campaigns are implemented successfully;
- Close collaboration with other UN Women/UN agencies Communicationsteams is established and maintained.
Performance Indicators for evaluation of results:
- UN Women Communication strategy is successfully implemented;
- Partnership with media and other communications stakeholders is established and well maintained;
- Advocacy, communications and media outreach events are implemented.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES:
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others;
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Excellent communication skills;
- Communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies;
- Demonstrate very good understanding of and experience in communicationsand outreach;
- Proven networking skills, and ability to generate interest in UN Women’s mandate;
- Strong initiative-taker;
- Very effective at multi-tasking;
- Focus on impact and results for the client;
- Interact effectively with all levels of the organization, including senior management;
- Identify opportunities and builds strong relationships with clients and partners.
Required Skills and Experience
- MA degree (or equivalent) in communications, journalism, public relations, social sciences, international relations, or a related field.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in communications, journalism, public relations or related field at the national or international level, including experience in media relations. Experience in on-line outreach and multimedia would be an asset;
- Working experience with large development agency would be an advantage;
- Experience in usage of computers, including databases and office software packages;
- Familiarity with gender issues would be an asset;
- Familiarity with UN Women and UN system would be an asset;
- Outstanding oral and written communications and editing skills, with proven ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Fluency in oral and written English, Ukrainian and Russian languages.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 11 JANUARY 2018.