The OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine is looking for highly qualified, motivated and experienced professionals for the position of Language Assistant with its Office in Kramatorsk (Donetsk region) The OSCE is committed to achieving a better balance of women and men within the Organization.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Deputy Hub Leader and provide a full range of translation/interpretation services to the Monitoring Team both in office and during patrol. The incumbent in agreement with the supervisor will also provide a full range of translation/interpretation for other OSCE colleagues visiting the Monitoring Team area of responsibility (AoR). Under the guidance and supervision of the Deputy Hub Leader, the Language Assistant performs the following functions:
- Consecutive interpretation from Ukrainian/Russian into English language and vice versa during the meetings with local interlocutors (armed formations, local representatives, local NGOs, local population, media) and other patrolling tasks;
- Translation of written texts and documents from Ukrainian/Russian into English language and vice versa;
- Keeping minutes of the discussions and reporting summaries from meetings and conferences;
- Maintaining and updating contact lists of external interlocutors;
- As directed, arranging meetings with local interlocutors;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completed secondary education supplemented by specific studies in languages with specialization in translation and interpretation techniques;
- Minimum 4 years of experience in written translation and oral interpretation with national or International Organizations;
- Professional fluency in English, Russian and Ukrainian languages, excellent written and oral communication skills in the mentioned languages;
- Computer literate with practical experience in Microsoft Office applications;
- Customer service oriented; ability to work in a confidential environment and maintain a high level of discretion;
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work as a member of a team, with people of different cultural and religious backgrounds, different gender, and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, as well as the ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Cultural sensitivity and judgment.
- Commitment: Actively contributes to achieving organizational goals
- Diversity: Respects others and values their diverse perspectives and contributions
- Integrity: Acts in a manner consistent with the Organization’s core values and organizational principles
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for own action and delegated work
- Communication: Actively works to achieve clear and transparent communication with colleagues and with stakeholders of the Organization
- Collaboration: Works effectively with others on common goals and fosters a positive, trust-based working environment
- Planning: Works towards the achievement of goals in a structured and measured manner
- Analysis and decision-making: Analyses available information, draws well-founded conclusions and takes appropriate decisions
- Initiative-taking: Proposes and initiates new ideas, activities and projects
- Flexibility: Responds positively and effectively to changing circumstances
Managerial competencies (for positions with managerial responsibilities)
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, builds trust and creates an enabling environment
- Strategic thinking: Identifies goals that advance the organizational agenda and develops plans for achieving them
- Managing performance: Helps to maximize team performance by providing active feedback and skill development opportunities
- Monthly remuneration, subject to social security deductions is 988.00 Euro/month.
- Social benefits will include participation in the Cigna health insurance scheme.
- Appointments are normally made at step 1 of the applicable OSCE salary scale.
Deadline for application: 11 December 2018
Please note that applications received after the deadline or in other languages than the English language will not be considered.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages the nomination of qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.